|Photo From Wikimedia commons|
As well as tasting individual spices, we created a variety of blends from different countries and then tasted them in either applesauce, butternut squash or sweet potato - as vehicles for the spice, so you could get the true flavors.
|Tasting stations at the ready!|
The key spices we focused on were
- cinnamon - great for diabetes
- turmeric - anti-cancer and anti- inflammatory activity
- black cumin - immune system boosting
- cloves - toothache, mosquito repellent, anti-infection
- cocoa - great source of flavonols which increase nitric oxide production, and help heart health
- Plus we looked at those spices that can affect the Cancer "Master Switch" - NFkB
The blends we made we:
- Chai tea - India - we actually made a tea-less version
- La Kama from North Africa
- Garam Masala - India
- Golden Milk -India
- Panch Phoron - India
- Chinese five spice - China
- Colombo Powder - Latin America
- Quatre Epices - France
- Hot Chocolate - Mexican
We then ended up with a chocolate tasting of 6 chocolates with cocoa contents of >75%. I'll tell you more about that another day!
It was a great class. People really started to focus on tasting carefully and identifying different flavor and whether spices predominated or harmonized.